To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Personnel Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
|POSITION TITLE||STARTING SALARY|
|Archivist – Visual Materials||$3,192-3,309 per month
Jefferson City, MO
This is a professional position that comprises a variety of standard archival practices, including, but not limited to, accessioning, arranging, housing, labeling, describing, and creating finding aids for state-created records of permanent historical value. This position reports to the Assistant State Archivist.
The archivist performs necessary work to assure the preservation and accessibility of historically accurate information. Assignments involve conducting inventories and surveys; recommending policies and procedures for managing records; and processing records for patron access.
NOTE: The examples of work performed for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
Job Functions and/or General Responsibilities:
- Provides physical processing of incoming visual materials, which include photographs, maps, manuscripts and motion picture film among other media: receipt, labeling, removal of duplicate or harmful materials, shelving, and filing.
- Uses CONTENTdm digital management software to establish intellectual control over accessioned records and promotes access to the information that the records contain by the creation of descriptions for upload to Missouri Digital Heritage, the statewide portal to online digital collections.
- Prepares written reports on processing before creating finding aids.
- Recommends policies and procedures for management of visual materials.
- Identifies conservation problems and makes recommendations for preservation.
- Acts as liaison with Missouri Digital Heritage staff and State Imaging Center to provide digital access to statewide collections.
- Advises staff, volunteers and interns on tasks related to job functions.
- Assists reference staff and researchers as needed.
- Works on a wide variety of special projects, including, but not limited to, exhibit planning and production and promoting the Archives through public outreach and publications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of archival principles and established archival practices, particularly related to photographic and audio visual materials.
- Broad knowledge of Missouri history.
- Knowledge of the organization of Missouri state and local government.
- Knowledge of sources, methods, and techniques used in historical research.
- Some knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, public officials, private groups, and the public.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- A master’s degree in history, archival administration, historical administration, or library science (with an archival component) is preferred. Must be able to lift and carry a forty-pound box and climb a ladder to retrieve materials. If not presently a Certified Archivist, must agree to seek certification from the Academy of Certified Archivists as soon as qualified to do so.
- Experience working with CONTENTdm digital collection management software strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and scanning experience strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro for audio-visual editing strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Access, and Excel.
Posting Period: Position posted 08/02/2016 for a minimum posting period of 2 weeks. The minimum posting period will end: 09/02/2016. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Procedures: Application materials (resume, completed application.) may be mailed or emailed to: Attention: Archivist – Visual Materials, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767. Jefferson City, MO 65102. HRmain@sos.mo.gov EOE