MIKE KELLEY FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS
JOB TITLE: Archives Assistant
STATUS: Part-time Temporary, Exempt
STARTS: Flexible, August or September
The Mike Kelley Foundation for the Arts (MKF) furthers Mike Kelley’s philanthropic work and honors his legacy through grants for innovative projects that reflect his multifaceted artistic practice. The Mike Kelley Foundation for the Arts Archives maintains a collection of original papers and materials related to the artist’s life and work. These materials were accumulated over the course of Mike Kelley’s life and bequeathed to the Foundation in 2012 upon his death. The Archives also maintains the records of the Mike Kelley Foundation for the Arts, which was founded by the artist in 2007 and continues his philanthropic legacy today.
The Mike Kelley Foundation Archives is seeking two archival studies graduate students to review materials and create box-level accession records in ArchivesSpace. This is an exciting opportunity for a current archival studies student to gain hands-on experience in an artist’s archives under the supervision of a professional Archivist. Two three-day per week positions are available. Work will be scheduled 9am to 5pm for an 8-week term beginning in August or early September.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Review and assess contents of boxes, concisely and consistently record descriptive metadata into new ArchivesSpace accession records.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED
- Some coursework completed in archival studies.
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated with high professional standards.
- Understanding of data entry best practices.
- Knowledge of information management systems; familiarity with ArchivesSpace is a plus, but not required.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to concisely and accurately record information and the confidence to ask questions when clarification is needed.
- Capable of careful handling of archival materials.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in an arts archives.
- Prolonged standing and climbing step stools to retrieve and replace boxes weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 35 pounds while using appropriate lifting technique and following all safety rules.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $20 per hour, not eligible for benefits.
APPLICATION PROCESS Please send a brief cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for two references to email@example.com
DEADLINE Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
It is the policy of Mike Kelley Foundation for the Arts to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.