Ringling College of Art + Design, Sarasota, Florida
this was sent to the VRA listserv; apologies for duplication
|Job Title||Digital Curation and Special Collections Librarian|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Job Summary/Basic Function||Ringling College seeks a creative, collaborative, and learner-centered professional librarian. The Digital Curation and Special Collections Librarian provides leadership in the management of the Goldstein Library Special Collections and Archives unit and oversees the operations of digital collections strategies and support; develops and maintains a digital image teaching and study collection accessible to the Ringling College community; develops a strategic and systematic approach to acquiring and maintaining items of historical significance to the College; provides vision for the Special Collections and Archives web presence in coordination with the Library’s Technical Services Department. and the College Institutional Technology unit; creates in-house and online exhibits; collaborates with colleagues to identify, plan, and execute strategies for digitizing and accessing materials online; serves as a point of contact for Special Collections inquiries from the campus and broader community; mentors, encourages, advises, and collaborates with colleagues.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to meeting the information needs of the Ringling College community; a strong customer service orientation; an ability and desire to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds; an ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines; and a willingness to take initiative in devising innovative and creative solutions. The successful candidate will be able to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators in an academic environment.
This is a 12-month full-time position with faculty status.
|Minimum Qualifications||• ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent degree.
• Knowledge of, enthusiasm for, and/or experience in an art, art history, creative writing, visual studies, or design discipline.
• Demonstrated experience working with digital archives, digital repositories, and/or Special Collections.
• Ability to learn and employ current and emerging technologies for digital asset management, particularly as they apply to visual materials.
• Customer service orientation and enthusiasm for public service.
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a culturally diverse and rapidly evolving environment.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team player in a dynamic environment on a variety of projects simultaneously.
• Ability and desire to promote library services and collections.
|Preferred Qualifications||• Bachelor or master’s degree in design, studio, art history, or a media arts discipline as offered at Ringling College.
• At least two years professional work experience.
• Knowledge of current practices and trends in the preservation and conservation of physical and digital materials for special collections.
• Working knowledge or hands-on experience with digital repository software (i.e., Shared Shelf, Omeka, DSpace, Digital Commons, etc.).
• Knowledge of descriptive and encoding standards such as EAD, MODS, METS,XML/XSL or other metadata standards.
• Working knowledge of intellectual property and copyright issues related to digital repositories, archives, and special collections.
• Familiarity with preservation theory and current research and practices regarding risks to digital collections, such as technological changes, natural disasters, interoperability of software, and security issues.
• Supervisory or project management experience.
• Reference experience in an academic, public, or corporate library.
• Teaching experience in an academic environment.
• Collection development experience.
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Open until filled. For full consideration, apply by June 3, 2016. The anticipated start date of the position is August 2016.|
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts 1
- Unofficial Transcripts 2