The University of California, Santa Barbara is one of ten campuses that comprise the University of California system and is a member of the exclusive Association of American Universities (AAU). In addition, the University Library at UC Santa Barbara is a member of the prestigious Association of Research Libraries (ARL).
Reporting to Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services (CMS), the Special Research Collections Cataloger / Metadata Librarian provides cataloging and metadata services for the Library’s Special Research Collections in all formats, including but not limited to born-digital contents, A/V materials and its performing arts collection. The incumbent is responsible for creating, reviewing, and editing metadata for collections, working with colleagues to support the discovery of and access to the Library’s digital content through metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and national cataloging and metadata standards. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for original cataloging and classification of the artists’ books in the Library and training of the related individuals. Revises the work of the individuals responsible for the copy cataloging of the Special Research Collections as required. Actively participates in creating or modifying NACO authority records for personal and corporate names and series, and SACO authority records as appropriate. The incumbent is responsible for creating, and reviewing metadata for Library-led digitization and data curation efforts in the area of Special Research Collections. Participates in the development, evaluation, and implementation of metadata policies, standards, goals, procedures, and workflows in cooperation with necessary stakeholders.
- ALA accredited MLS. Demonstrated knowledge and minimum two years professional-level experience in original cataloging of born-digital materials, special collection and media materials.
- Knowledge of AACR2, RDA, LCSH, LC Classification, DACS, DCRM(B) and MARC 21.
- Familiarity with two or more non-MARC metadata standards and schemas, such as Dublin Core, EAD, VRACore, MODS, METS, TEI, and PBCore.
- Knowledge of trends in information access pertaining to libraries, and cataloging librarianship.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritizing work to ensure that departmental and library goals are realized.
- Excellent organizational skills, proven problem solving ability, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated initiative in fostering new ideas and in implementing change.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in the performing arts or working with performing arts collections.
- Prior experience of original cataloging of artists’ books.
- Knowledge of one or more European languages.
- Experience with Archivists’ Toolkit or ArchivesSpaces and NACO, BIBCO or other PCC programs.
- Prior supervisory experience.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Librarians at the University of California, Santa Barbara are professional academic appointees who accrue vacation at the rate of two days per month and sick leave at the rate of one day per month. The University has an excellent retirement system which is coordinated with Social Security. A selection of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans are offered by the University.
The incumbent will be a member of the LX Collective Bargaining Unit represented by the American Federation of Teachers.
- This position will remain open until filled; the next application review date is April 15, 2016.
- Applications will be accepted online through UC Recruit: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF00688.
- Help for UC Recruit is available at https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/help/applicants.
- For additional assistance, contact Ryan George with Library Human Resources at (805) 893-3841 or email@example.com.
- Appointment and/or continued employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check.