Digital Collections Project Assistant
The Library Company of Philadelphia, an internationally-renowned research library specializing in American and Global history before 1900, is currently seeking a Digital Collections Project Assistant to help migrate its digital collections from Digitool to Islandora, an open source digital repository. Working under the IT Manager and the Digital Collections Librarian, the project assistant’s duties will include, but not be limited to:
*assisting in the implementation and development of the migration process;
*packaging of content;
*organization and conversion of files;
*monitoring the system for quality assurance/control;
*developing workflows for future use;
*communicating with vendors;
*working with an IT consultant on system implementation;
*training and assisting users with all aspects of the new system.
This is a one year grant-funded position that is scheduled to begin June 1st, 2016. Based on the applicant’s availability, the start date may begin in May. Salary commensurate with experience. No benefits. Review of applications will begin on April 1st and continue until the position is filled.
- M.A. in Library and/or Information Science or equivalent professional experience.
- A minimum of two years of work-related experience in digital collections and/or digital asset management;
- Working knowledge of platforms for storing and managing digital assets (experience with Islandora is highly preferred).
- A general understanding of metadata standards and schema including MARC, Dublin Core and MODS; also experience working in XML.
- Strong computer and organizational skills, attention to detail, and experience with spreadsheets.
- Comfortable working in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially with staff and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks, and to adhere to project deadlines.
- Experience digitizing and creating metadata for special collections material.
- Experience with Drupal; Archivematica; BagIt, Bagger or other file transfer programs; Filemaker and other software that serve similar functions.
- Familiarity with a wide range of digital library standards and practices, such as digital preservation, standards for media content, and user experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (listing at least two references who may be contacted) in pdf format to Nicole Scalessanscalessa@librarycompany.org.
The Library Company of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.