Part-Time Archival Assistant (Byzantine Collections)
Position Title: Part-Time Archival Assistant (Byzantine Collections)
Supervisor: Rona Razon, Archivist
Department: Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives (ICFA)
Grade: N/A – Casual, temporary
Hours: maximum 17 hours per week
ICFA is seeking a part-time Archival Assistant to assist ICFA staff with archival processing and preservation projects of Byzantine collections and other administrative tasks. Under the supervision of the Archivist, this part-time Archival Assistant will assist with the assessment, arrangement, description, and preservation of Byzantine archival collections, which comprise administrative records and fieldwork materials produced or created by Byzantine scholars, archaeologists, and photographers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create new finding aids for unprocessed collections
- Review and update existing finding aids, inventories, and arrangement plans for pre-processed collections
- Assess, arrange, and describe collections according to archival and local standards
- Evaluate collections’ physical condition and preserve them according to archival and local standards
- Create timelines, maintain lists of references, and draft assessment reports and arrangement plans
- Prepare, maintain, and review descriptive records in the department’s collection management system, ICA-AtoM (http://atom.doaks.org/icaatom/)
- Maintain a work journal and contribute to ICFA’s departmental blog and Facebook page
- Preserve archival collections (documents, photographic prints, negatives, and slides) according to archival standards, established local guidelines, and best practices for storage and preservation
- Provide support on administrative and other related duties, as assigned by the Archivist (e.g. update list of supplies, etc.)
Education and/or Experience
- MLIS graduate or currently enrolled in an accredited MLIS program with prior coursework related to archives and preservation or a concentration in archives management
- Experience with archival processing, preservation of archival materials, and creation of finding aids
- Knowledge and understanding of professional archival practices and standards
- Demonstrated analytical skills, proactive approach to problem-solving, and attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with team members in an academic setting, as well as to work independently and to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Computer skills and/or Other skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, relational databases, social media applications, and other software tools
If any other than the required qualifications
- Excellent hand-writing
- Interest in History, Art History, Architecture, Archaeology, or Byzantine Studies
Ability to lift 30-50 pound boxes or other materials.
The part-time Archival Assistant (Byzantine Collections) is required to work 17 hours per week at an hourly rate between $10.00 – $13.00 per hour, based on education and experience. Metro transportation benefits are available. This is a temporary position up to one year. Position open until filled.
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV, contact information for three references, and a sample of work (e.g., finding aid, online exhibit, blog, etc.) to:HumanResources@doaks.org.