Digital Resource Librarian
Kenyon College invites nominations and applications for the Digital Resource Librarian position. This position, reporting to the Director of Library Services in the Library and Information Services (LBIS) division, serves the faculty, students, and staff of the college by developing, implementing, and maintaining new digital programs and services. The Digital Resource Librarian will develop and maintain digital conversion best practices for all formats, especially print, audio, and video. This role explores, adapts, and implements emerging digital repository technologies in support of library and campus digital collections and publishing initiatives. The successful candidate will guide development of digital initiatives and work with library and other LBIS colleagues and vendors to resolve complex issues relating to scholarly content systems in support of Kenyon’s curricular mission.
- Lead digital initiatives in collaboration with librarians, faculty, administration, and members of LBIS.
- Provide technical expertise in the investigation and application of methods used to build and further develop digital collections utilizing established and emerging mechanisms, systems, and metadata standards.
- Identify grant opportunities and works collaboratively to create proposals in support of digital scholarship.
- Participate in regional and/or national professional activities to advance the development of digital library resources.
- Develop, implement, and maintain digital services, workflows and policies.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop and maintain the infrastructure necessary to deliver digitization services to the campus.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop organizational structures and metadata for digitized materials as needed.
- Assists patrons with their research at the reference desk. Reference responsibilities may include some evenings and weekends.
- Participates in the academic department liaison program including library instruction.
- Participate in LBIS’ cross-functional teams and Five Colleges of Ohio Library Subcommittees.
- Develop, maintain, and provide enhancements to digital library applications to ensure effective and efficient delivery of library digital resources and services.
- Other duties as required.
- American Library Association-accredited master’s degree in library science or equivalent, or master’s degree in information science, computer science, or related discipline with library experience.
- Experience managing digital collections.
- Professional experience working with digital collections and/or repositories (e.g., CONTENTdm, DSpace, Omeka, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with current metadata schemes and evolving standards, such as MARC, EAD, TEI, VRA Core, Dublin Core, METS, and MODS.
- Demonstrated excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, including small group leadership and clear documentation writing.
- Knowledge of current trends in digital library development, digitization standards and preservation, and rights management issues relating to digital materials.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across organization lines and in collaboration with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Ability to learn and teach new technologies quickly, as well to effectively interact with others who possess a range of technological backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and a record of achievement with, digital scholarship and services, including awareness of emerging trends in digital scholarship.
- Knowledge of copyright best practices.
- Ability to provide training and instruction on processes to individuals or small groups.
Kenyon is a highly selective liberal arts college of approximately 1650 students located in the beautiful village of Gambier, about 50 miles northeast of Columbus, Ohio. The Library and Information Services division provides library, technology, and institutional research services to campus constituents. Kenyon offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and has an excellent benefits package including tuition remission for full-time employees. Employment at Kenyon is contingent upon a successful background check.
Kenyon College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the College’s policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, disability, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran. Kenyon welcomes diversity and encourages applications from women and minority candidates.